If we were to stop and think about it, we have a meter box on our property but we don’t actually have a lock on it. With one flick we can turn off the power to the whole property.
This puts us at risk in so many ways.
1. Burglary: there have been many reports where the power is turned off to see if someone is home
2. Food spoilage: If we are on holidays or even just away for the day our fridge and freezer will be turned off and all the food will spoil
3. Loss of data: Computers can be shut down unexpectedly causing loss of data or the data becomes corrupted
4. Alarm systems disabled: most alarm systems have a battery backup system that lasts for 24 hours. Beyond that your property is left without an alarm
We think the biggest personal risk is where an unlocked meter box can assist a thief with a property break-in.
Here are the two scenarios.
1. The thief cuts the power to sees if anyone comes out to check the fuse/switch, if no-one is home the thief goes in.
2. The thief cuts the power and waits for you to go outside and check the box and enters the open door out of your sight. This can lead you to then lock yourself inside with the thief. That is never a good situation to be in!
But either of these scenarios can be easily avoided.
What is the solution?
Energex Locks are master keyed so each lock has its own unique key but the meter readers will hold a master key to access to read your meter. We can also supply locks keyed to Energex keys for gates and access doors that meter readers need to access in order to reach the meter box. It is easy!
Want to know more? We specialise in keeping you and those you are responsible for safe, at home and at work. “Make it hard for them – never give a criminal an easy break” Get in touch.